Complete results of the 2010 National Barrow Show Sire Progeny Test are now available on the National Swine Registry website at www.nationalswine.com.
AUSTIN, MINN. (Sept. 12, 2010) – Honors were presented to swine exhibitors at the 64th National Barrow Show® for outstanding entries in the 2010 NATIONAL BARROW SHOW® Progeny Test. Nine SUPER SIRE™ awards and eleven PORQUE awards were given to recognize the highest-indexing groups entered. The following individuals and farms were presented awards for their winning entries in the 2010 Progeny Test.
- Iowa State University Swine Teaching Farm of Ames, Iowa (SUPER SIRE™ and PORQUE awards for entries sired by TTF9 G10 Tex 7-1 and AUST8 Fast Lane 3-7)
- Phenotypic Acres, Inc. of Ames, Iowa (SUPER SIRE™ award for entry sired by IowaSU7 History Maker 59-3)
- Oak Hill Farm of Julian, Neb. (PORQUE award for entry sired by OHF7 S Masterboy 97-2)
- Lyle & Darla Wipplinger of Kiester, Minn. (PORQUE awards for entries sired by WIPP8 Stallion 10-3 and WIPP8 Aslan 18-5)
- Forkner Farms/TRULINE® Genetics of Richards, Mo. (PORQUE award for entry sired by FF8 Spades 6-9)
- Randy and Becky Schmidt of Williamsburg, Iowa (SUPER SIRE™ and PORQUE awards for entry sired by TRF7 Favre 29-2)
- Waldo Farms of Dewitt, Neb. (SUPER SIRE™ and PORQUE awards for entry sired by WFD8 Firestone 128-2)
- Whiteshire-Hamroc® of Albion, Ind. (SUPER SIRE™ and PORQUE awards for entry sired by Fast Forward 46-4)
- Whiteshire-Hamroc® of Albion, Ind. (SUPER SIRE™ award for entry sired by WHI8 RB Boy 549-10 and PORQUE award for entry sired by WHI8 Sampson 333-13)
- Whiteshire-Hamroc® of Albion, Ind. (SUPER SIRE™ and PORQUE awards for entry sired by WHI8 SGI Erik 471 38-8)
- Waldo Farms of Dewitt, Neb. (SUPER SIRE™ award for entry sired by WFD8 Perfection 152-6)
Averages for the 35 entries in the 2010 test were 1.83 lbs. average daily gain, 0.96 inches backfat at the 10th rib, 6.46 square inches loin-eye area, 5.9 (out of possible ten) soundness score, 5.71 loin pH, and 2.57% intramuscular fat (marbling).
This year’s Progeny Test attracted 278 pigs from 8 states that represented six major purebred breeds. On March 26, 2010, these pigs were delivered to the Iowa Swine Evaluation Station in Ames. Each group consisted of eight pigs that were from at least three different litters sired by the same boar and weighed between 30 and 65 pounds. Pigs did not have to come from the same breeder’s operation and may be any combination of barrows and gilts.
The groups of pigs were placed on test after being at the station at least five days and when their average pen weight reached 70 pounds. As the pigs reached 250 pounds, they were harvested and evaluated and a ranking established.
“This year’s analysis of the entries in the test continued the 2009 theme of dual awards,” stated A.J. Shute, test coordinator. “The SUPER SIRE™ award continues to recognize sires excelling in lean gain characteristics based on primarily ADG and percent lean. The PORQUE award recognizes sires outstanding in eating quality attributes that affect consumer satisfaction such as tenderness, juiciness, and color. This allows the unique contributions to different areas of economically important traits to be highlighted and valued in each of the various breeds and even specific sires within each breed.”
The 2010 Progeny Test was the 21st to be conducted in conjunction with the National Barrow Show® since 1991. Another Progeny Test is scheduled to be delivered Friday, March 25, 2011.
NATIONAL BARROW SHOW®
P.O. BOX 367
AUSTIN, MN 55912-0367
A. J. Shute